Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Cards For Kids With Cancer and a blogger award



Yesterday I hosted a class for homeschoolers to make cards for kids with cancer. Unfortunately I only had 3 other kids participate besides Emilia. I had really hoped that more people in our homeschool community would want to do this but that did not happen. At least we still got some made though. I got the idea to do this because when I discovered Lauren Meaders blog I read that her daughter Alexa has cancer and she had a stamp set made for her where all the proceeds go to cancer research. You can read more about Alexa's story and the stamp set here. After reading Alexa's story I thought it would be a great idea to buy the stamp set and use it with other homeschoolers in my community to make cards for kids with cancer to help cheer them up. No one especially a child should ever have to go through something like this and I thought this was just one small thing that we could do to try and make kids with cancer feel better so I came up with a card for the kids to make with Alexa's set. I started off by showing them how to do a basic Versamark resist with a k-pad for the background on the cards. They thought that was pretty cool. After that they stamped the groovy girl on white cardstock and colored her in then matted her on colored cardstock and attached her to the resist background. They finished them off by adding some sparkle with Stickles on the butterflies wings. I am really hoping that these colorful cards will bring some cheer to some children's day that are going through this right now
On another note. My friend Ann gave me an I love you this much award which originally came from here
Thank you Ann. Ann is a fellow homeschool mom and an incredible artist. You should definitely check out her blog. I am suppose to tag other bloggers that I love now but I love so many peoples blogs it would take me forever to do that. I have listed quite a few of my favorite blogs on my sidebar though so if you are reading this and are listed then consider yourself tagged if you want to play along. That's it for now I hope you have a great day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You have been blessed with a big heart. That's so sweet of you to do the cards with the children.
They are also future stampers!!!
This is what starts them off and running in developing their art.

Lauren (mytime) said...

Oh Terri these came out fabulous. Look how happy those kids are. They should feel so good about what they are doing. Thanks for supporting Alexa's set.