Saturday, March 8, 2008

Just So Hoppy Clock

When Melanie came out with this set I knew I was going to have to come up with something completely out of the box to even have a chance of winning her next contest with it. After thinking about it for awhile one day the idea of the frogs jumping around the numbers of a clock just came to me and this is what I came up with. I started with a plain white clock which I found at Walgreens for $4.00 last week. When I got it home I took it apart and started working on the outer covering first by using the polished stone technique with lettuce and stream alcohol inks. After I was done doing that I let the covering sit for a couple of days while I thought about what I wanted to do with the inside. I originally thought about stamping the images directly on the clock but I was worried that if I messed up then the whole thing would be ruined so I decided to stamp the images on Papertrey white stampers select card stock instead, color them with my Copics and cut them out. Once I was done doing that I decided to airbrush the background with my Copics so that the bottom half looked like water and the top half looked like sky. In the process of airbrushing the water I sprayed to close to the clock and ended up with some splotches. In my attempt to fix those mistakes I made things worse. I started to freak out but finally decided to try the polished stone technique once again to fix it and thankfully it worked. I am actually glad this happened now because I think it was a better thing to do for the water than just a plain airbrushed background anyways and I think it actually made the water look more like a swap so my mistake turned out to be a good thing after all. When I was done with the water I decided that I wanted to make the sky look like it had more clouds in it but I had already glued down my images at that point so I could not do anymore airbrushing unless I wanted to mask everything which I didn't, so I decided to sponge on some Faded Jeans Distress ink using a ripped piece of cardstock to get the cloud effect and was happy with how that turned out. When I orginally started working on this project and told Emilia my idea she suggested that I put a frog on the second hand so he would move around the clock but I thought he would be to big and the butterflies would work better for that so this is how that idea transpired and I think it was a great way to finish it off. Overall it took me about a week to finish because I kept coming up with new things to do to it and I kept wanting to make it perfect but I have decided that it is finally done now and am happy with how it came out. I hope you and Melanie like it too.

6 comments:

Etha said...

this is just so amazing, your idea and execution are wonderful. I can see it now, all Walgreens suddenly completely sold out of plain white clocks LOL

JeanM said...

Awesome!! I am sure you are hoppy with your results.
Jean

Shirley said...

Totally cute!! TFS, Terri.

FireCracker082 said...

toadally cute!!! what a fun clock, and I love the 'swamp' came out great!

Linda said...

You go girl!!!!!!!
That is very creative.

Linsey said...

Oh wow, Terri! I wasn't sure that you created the outside and the water effect till I read this! That is SO impressive! The polished stone technique paid of beautifully! I adore your coloring (wish i had Copics) and the detailing you put into it! The balloons and butterflies really make it spectacular! I'm going to get me some white clocks too--you are totally inspiring! TFS and I'm adding you to my faves on my blog today! hugs!

Linsey