Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Vintage Music Box


This is the project I had been working on for Emilia's piano teacher Catherine. I knew I wanted to make something with music in it for her and after I came up with this idea I thought it would be great to make it vintage looking too. I started by cutting some White Matte Coated Carstock that I had gotten from Marco's Paper using Jen Del Muros Pizza box template. After that I did the Burnt Edges technique that I learn from the February/March Technique Junkies 2007 newsletter to give the cardstock a vintage look then I stamped the music background stamp From Lasting Impressions With Panache down the middle with Black soot distress ink. While that piece was drying I cut another box pattern out of Papertrey Vintage Cream cardstock and then attached it to back of the music note piece so it would be the lining for the box. To make the band I started by cutting a piece of plaid ribbon that I had gotten from Hobby Lobby awhile ago then I wrapped it around the box and tied it in a bow. I made sure not to tie it to tight though because I wanted to be able to take it on and off without untieing it. Next I cut the snowflakes from Papertreys White Stampers Select cardstock using some Nestabilities snowflake dies. After that I stamped the snowflake pieces with the Essential Glue Pad and then covered them with Angel Wings Glitter. For the tag I used a Cuttlebug tiny tags die and cut it out of white coreboard then I sponged Antique Linen Distress ink on it and ran a Black Soot ink pad around the edges. After that I stamped the Happy Holidays saying from the Papertrey Faux ribbon set on it with Versamark ink and embossed it with black embossing powder. I then threaded a piece of silver cording through the tag and snowflake then through the band on the bow and tied it off. To finish the tag I cut off some holly berries that I found in a bunch of small fake flowers that I had hiding in my craft closet and pushed them through the hole in the snowflake. When I was done with that I took off the snowflake band and lined the inside of the box with some white tissue paper then I filled it with the same chocolate fudge I had made to put in the ice skate box because I still had plenty of it left.
We gave the box filled with fudge to Catherine yesterday and she loved it.
I hope it is warm where you are. It is still very cold here but at least we are above freezing now. As always thanks for stopping by and I will be back soon with more things to share.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea! Beautiful!

Orion Designs said...

It turned out beautiful Terri!
Vicki

Julia Aston said...

I just love these pizza boxes - and what perfect decorations for a piano teacher! Love the spongeing on this!