Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Hanukkah Cards

Happy Tuesday! I hope you all had a good Halloween yesterday if you celebrated it. Emilia has chosen not to trick or treat anymore but we still hand out candy. Most years we only have a few kids but this year we had a lot. My sister had bought me a big bag of 300 suckers for a craft project I wanted to do earlier in the year. I used a few though so they came in handy last night. It is hard to believe it is the 1st of November today too. It is all downhill to Christmas and Hanukkah now. Hanukkah starts on Dec 20th this year. I have been working on holiday items for my Etsy shop for a few weeks. If you remember a few months ago I made this Apple Iris Folded Card for Rosh Hashanna. I loved how that card came out so much I decided to make something similar for Hanukkah too. This is what I came up with.

The process was basically the same except I used this pattern for the dreidel. The patterned paper came from this digital paper pack. Gold Shimmer ribbon,a navy button and machine stitching finish it off.

I also came up with a new idea for a Menorah Card. This idea came to be after seeing birthday cards made with rolled paper candles. The base of the menorah is from Amy Abad. She was kind enough to share the SVG file with me after I saw this card she made with it on her blog last year. This is what I came up with.

I used more patterned paper from the same paper pack I used on the Dreidel card to make the candles then added silver cording for the flames. The base of the menorah was cut out of Enchanted Evening Cardstock and then embossed with tiny dots. I cut the letters using SCAl then added them to the menorah base with crystal effects. I finished the card off with machine stitching.
That's all for now were are expecting another snow storm here tomorrow hopefully it won't be as much as last week. We lost a few big branches in that one but at least it melted fast. I will be back soon with more to share. Until then I hope the rest of your week is a great one.

13 comments:

Aimes said...

Beautiful cards, Terri! I especially love your candles :)
Hugs,
Aimes
x

Handmade in Israel said...

These are truly wonderful! You have done such a great job on them.

June K. said...

Terri, you do beautiful iris folding. Very lovely.

Marybeth said...

These cards are amazing . So beautiful, I love the folded paper card. I love them both , nice work!

Diane Jaquay said...

Both of these are FABULOUS, Terri! I especially love that Menorah!!

carol (krillsister) said...

Wow! Both cards are awesome. Very well crafted. Love the colors for Hanukkah!

Mara Campbell said...

What great cards!! Each one puts a unique twist on the traditional images. I love the iris folding and those rolled candles are great!

BethieJ said...

Terri both of them turned out just BEAUTIFUL!!! Great job!!
Hope all is well!! Have a GREAT day!

Leigh Penner said...

These are beautiful, Terri! I love how you made the one with the Menorah!

Amy said...

Beautiful cards! Love the way you used the Menorah SVG file & the 3D candles are great!

Margaret M said...

Terri both cards are just beautiful. I've done some iris folding before and know that is is a little hard to do but so much fun! TFS!

Cammie said...

Terri, both of these are stunning! I've not heard of iris folding--I'm going to have to check it out.

Andrea D. La Vigne said...

Love both your cards, but especially the iris-folded dreidel card! I will be CASE-ing that for some friends of ours this year. Thanks so much for sharing these, and for including the pattern source!