Saturday, August 15, 2020

May Recap

I originally started this post in June but never got a chance to finish it until now because things with my mom took a terrible turn for the worse. I am just now finishing it and hope to catch up on June and July soon. 

Hope that the sun is shining where you are and you are enjoying the start of summer. We have already been blessed with even more Sunflowers than we had last year. It is a sight to be seen. I will share photos next month when there are more in bloom. This piece was made using a tutorial from Teela Cunningham on Youtube. 
May started out with my mom getting her stimulus check and also getting one for my dad. I have no idea why that happened since he had passed. We finally figured out that we had to send his back. The properties were still not up for sale.  I was worried about what else lie ahead after that, Never did I image it would get as bad as it did.
 I was suppose to take mom to the rheumetologist to get the fluid drained from her elbow the middle of the month. We had been holding off because of the Covid and not feeling it was safe to take her anywhere. We finally thought it was safe to go but a week before that she had bumped it again and a hematoma formed under the skin. It ended up breaking open. I thought we had it under control because it formed a scab.  The morning of the appointment the scab had come off and she was bleeding so much it looked like a crime scene when I got there. I ended up calling 911. Thankfully they were able to get it stopped and she didn't have to go to a hospital. That was the last place I wanted to take her but her provider was not coming to see patients, the best they could do was set up home health but that would take time so I ended up calling Dispatch Health. Thankfully they came pretty quickly. They were able to put a stitch in it to try and get her through the rest of the day and night until home health came. She made it through the night but it was bleeding through again the next day. The home health said there was nothing they could do and she had to go to the ER. That was the last place I wanted to take her but we really had no choice. We decided to go to Rose that was a big mistake because they would not let me in with her even though I told them I was her POA and she had Dementia. I had no choice but to leave her, I made sure to tell them they had to call me when she saw the doctor though especially if they wanted the right information. I got a call a little while later saying she wanted me to come get her and she was still in the waiting room. I told them they had to get her back to a room before she left. I had to call and demand that someone do it and they finally got her back. 2 1/2 hours later they called and said she was ready to go home. No call before that. I was livid. I finally got the doctor on the phone that treated her and they said all they did was drain it and gave her a prescription for antibiotic. I told them she was already one and they would have known that if they had bothered to call. The said it was not bleeding anymore and she would be waiting when I got there. It was still bleeding when I got her home. I rewrapped it then left to go get some dinner while I was out she unwrapped it again. I was not happy about it and told her so. When I checked on her through the camera she was trying to re wrap it herself. I got my BIL to go up and help her. Thankfully she made it through the night. The next morning she was not doing well. It looked terrible. I had to call Dispatch Health back, They said I had to take her to another hospital. We decided to go to Porters this time because they would let me in with her and that is where she went to save her leg 7 years ago when Rose messed up the last time. After hours in the ER they finally admitted her. She was septic by that time. It felt like Sepsis 2.0 all over again. She did okay that night but the next night she want crazy. They had to put her in something called a Posy Bed to contain her. I was going to go over there and see if I could help calm her down but they said I was part of her hallucinations and she was mad at me. They finally got her to calm down and gave her some Melatonin. Thankfully she was better the next day. I really liked the hospitalist but hated the case worker. She was pushing to send her to rehab and tried to make me feel guilty for not being with her 24/7. They moved her to a different floor and she got another doctor after that who didn't even call me and keep me updated then they started to try and take her rights away from her and were pushing for inpatient rehab again. We told them no. The doctor I liked finally came back and agreed to send her home with home health and me doing the IV antibiotics and wound care. I had no idea what I was getting myself into though. When I saw the box of supplies I totally freaked out. I didn't think I could do it. I just wanted to crawl up into a ball and make it all stop. I started rethinking my decision not to send her to rehab but decided I needed to at least try it, The home health nurse tuned out to be a real bitch while trying to teach me how to do it and it took everything I had not to let her have it. I got through it though. They would not give us a CNA to help her take a shower so I had to find someone to help with that and pay out of pocket. I found someone on Nextdoor and she was a big help.  
More problems after that.  Moms home phone stopped working. It took over a week to get it fixed. We had to go and buy her a prepaid cell phone in the meantime so she would have a way to call us. It took a while for her to get use it and not turn it off. She also got scammed  into signing papers for a new roof. She was starting to become very confused again and decided to go and sit out front for some reason when I told her multiple times not to leave the house. A  roofing guy saw her sitting out there and got her to sign for a new roof. I only found out about it because I saw the contract on the kitchen table while I was there. He had come back to talk to her and I was still there. I let him have it. I asked him who he thought he was taking advantage of the elderly like that. I think I scared the crap out of him I didn't care though needless to say he never go the work.  Her sewer line also backed up after that. If it was not one thing is was another. I continued to do the antibiotics everyday. It was not that difficult to do once I got use to it but it was still very time consuming and breaking up a big part of my day. I was hoping once we got through the antibiotics things would be better but unfortunately that did not happen. More about that next month.  

I was still trying to keep up with my Etsy shop through all of this. It was hard to get work done and take care of all her needs too but I managed somehow. I didn't really make anything new but got this great photo of a buyers dog named Ritzy wearing our small personalized dog hat and matching tutu. Isn't she adorable?
I did not have a lot of time for my art either but I did get to make this piece for the May Floral's and Praise for his Glory Challenge on Instagram
Since I didn't have time to make anything else new I decided this was the perfect time to finish this piece I started from the February Floral's and Praise for his Glory Challenge. 

That's it for now. Hope to be back with the June recap soon. 

No comments: